So, after playing with my first muslin this way and that I decided to try again and this time lengthen the hip (from about 1/3 of the way down from the waist) by 3 inches and move the darts closer to the centre. I took it in at the hip a bit and at the waist a lot and this seems to have solved the funny bagginess I was working in the first go.
Unfortunately, having run out of plain cotton I sacrificed this piece, which I bought a couple of years ago for a table cloth at thanksgiving. I couldn’t bear to just waste it though and so I’m calling this a wearable muslin.
I’m happy with the fit of the skirt but I’m going to try Sunni’s advice of cutting the waistband on the grain vs. the bias as it’s still gaping a bit after taking it in.
I’m going to make the “real” version with an invisible zip, back vent and lining following the tutorials at the Cupcake Goddess using this printed cotton twill from spotlight and hopefully it’ll be done before Self Stitched September begins – can’t believe there’s only a week to go!