One down, four to go! Here is the first dress for my December Party Panic Wardrobe and I started nice and easy… ish.
The pattern is a free BurdaStyle Downloadable and as such is pretty popular. I started by scanning the great gallery of finished projects. It has been a well customised pattern so it was cool to pick out which details and alterations I liked and wanted to use.
I was challenged a bit as this was a stash busting project too and I only had 1.5m (1.6 yards) of this turqouise floral cotton which I have been tossing around for projects for a while – remember this?
Well it didn’t make it into a Macaron or a Jenny, instead it became an altered Danielle. Given the fabric restriction and the gorgeous results of Natty’s Low Back version, I made it sleeveless and square necked at the back too and the skirt is simply two rectangles gathered at the waist. I swear not an inch of fabric was waisted.
I couldn’t fit facings into the layout (seriously – the skirt hem is the selvage that’s how close I cut it) so I used some taupe lining I had in the drawer and fully lined the dress which also helped eliminate any see throughness of the cotton.
My biggest struggle with the pattern was the FBA which should have been so simple and straight forward. The original pattern is drafted with a single vertical dart under the bust. The standard FBA opens up a side bust dart which gives more shape to the curves – but it was just not working for me. The thoery was all in place… 2 + 2 should = 4 but all I kept getting was 5. So I ended up fudging it out of frustration, but luckily it’s still quite wearable.
Plus I hand-picked my first zipper using Tasia’s detailed tutorial.